We are currently hiring for the 2017 growing season!
At Mile Creek Farm all employees are expected to:
– have the physical stamina to work a full day in conditions that at times will be hot, dry and dusty and at other times cold, wet and muddy. You must be able to keep up with other workers when we are working as a team and also able to push yourself to work quickly and efficiently when working on your own.
– be responsible for working efficiently and quickly to complete all work.
– be on time and ready to work when the workday begins.
– be able to complete physically demanding tasks that may include standing, squatting or bending for extended periods of time.
– be able to lift up to 50 pounds if necessary.
– be able and willing to work in weather that may be cold, hot, rainy, windy, humid and/or otherwise uncomfortable.
– be able to work independently or cooperatively as needed. There are days when everyone will be working side by side to complete a large task and there will be other days when everyone will be working separately on individual tasks.
We are currently hiring for the following positions: Harvesters, Packing Shed Assistant, CSA Delivery Assistant and Market Stand Assistant. Please scroll down to read more about these positions.
Harvesters: No prior experience is needed, but a desire to learn and a willingness to work hard are necessary. Pay starts at $8.15 / hour for part time and at $9 / hour for full time employees. Harvesters mainly participate in the weekly vegetable harvest for CSA and market. Must work efficiently and be able to follow directions. Must be able and willing to work in summer heat, muddy wet conditions, and everything in between.
Growing and Harvesting Assistant: This position may be full or part-time, and is available able from mid-March through November (minimum three month commitment).
No prior experience is needed, but a desire to learn and a willingness to work hard are necessary. Ideal candidates will also have an interest in organic food and farming. Pay starts at $8.15 / hour for part time and at $9 / hour for full time employees. Workers are encouraged to enjoy the fruits of their labor with fruits and vegetables from the farm as they are available. We carry workman’s compensation for all employees, but do not provide any additional health benefits.
The growing and harvesting assistant’s tasks will include greenhouse, fieldwork and harvesting duties.
- Greenhouse duties: Assist in the production of transplants for sale at market and for use on the farm. Responsibilities will include filling and labeling flats, seeding flats, transplanting seedlings from open flats into cell flats, organizing the greenhouse, moving plants into or out of the greenhouse as necessary, and other tasks as the need arises.
- Fieldwork duties: Assist Ben and Emily with all aspects of crop production in the fields, including planting (riding on the tractor driven transplanter) crops in the field, weeding (using an assortment of hoes and/or hand-weeding), and other crop maintenance such as laying plastic mulch, trellising, etc.
- Harvesting duties: Participate in the weekly vegetable harvest for CSA and market. Responsibilities will include managing part-time workers in an efficient harvest, washing produce, record keeping and other tasks as the need arises.
Packing Shed Assistant: This position is full time, and is available able from mid-May through November. If you are interested in working earlier in the year it may be possible to begin this position as early as mid-March with Greenhouse and Fieldwork duties.
No prior experience is needed, but a desire to learn and a willingness to work hard are necessary. Ideal candidates will also have an interest in organic food and farming. Pay starts at $9 / hour for full time employees. Workers are encouraged to enjoy the fruits of their labor with fruits and vegetables from the farm as they are available. We carry workman’s compensation for all employees, but do not provide any additional health benefits.
The packing shed assistant’s duties will be primarily focused on the post-harvest handling of the farm’s produce. This will include washing, sorting, organizing and packing vegetables for distribution through our CSA and at our market stand.
CSA Delivery Assistant: This is a part time position (approximately 15 hrs. per week) available on Tuesday and Thursday (late morning through early evening) during our CSA season which runs from early June through mid-November. The CSA Delivery Assistant will assist with packing boxes, loading boxes onto the box truck and delivering boxes to pickup sites and home delivery addresses. Applicants will need to have a clean driving record since you will be put on the farm’s auto insurance policy. Experience driving a box truck is necessary for this position. The starting wage for this position will be $10/hour.
Market Stand Assistant: This is a part time position (5 hours per week) available on Saturday mornings (7-noon) from mid-May through November. The Market Stand Assistant will help set up and sell the farm’s produce at 2nd Street Market in downtown Dayton. Applicants for this position must be outgoing, customer centric and able to talk passionately about food. Pay starts at $10/hour.
If you would like to apply for one of the positions above please email us a resume and cover letter indicating the position you are interested in and your qualifications and experience.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions. We can be reached via phone at 937-687-8762 or through email with the following form.